Sunday, April 11, 2010

Roadtrip with Nancy - Heading Home

Fannin Memorial - Goliad, Texas
In 1836, Col. Fannin with his troops was on his way to relieve the beleaguered soldiers fighting Santa Ana's soldiers at the Alamo. Fannin couldn't break through the Mexican lines, so was retreating to Victoria, TX. He never made it. He and nearly all his troops were killed at the Battle of Coleto Creek about 9 miles east of the Fannin Memorial.

I'm pretty sure my brothers and I have read every name on that memorial. Another favorite family outing spot. There's a little cemetary next to the memorial, and over my childhood years, I had favorite friends there who'd get a flower or a toy when we visited.


Cemetary
On the way to Goliad

Victoria, Texas
Dinner on the square in downtown Victoria. If you stand in the square, and face this building, our restaurant would be to your right. Try the Olde Victoria at the Oak Room. Fine wines, unique appetizers, perfectly prepared entrees, and probably a good dessert menu. We didn't look at it.
Then back to Nancy's house! Nancy is a night-owl, and I'm a morning person. We compromised - my bedtime was later, and she was up earlier. I'm pretty sure we were both tired all day because of it, but we got a few more hours to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment